Monday, July 27

Create or Die

“Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.”
~Mary Lou Cook

When I am not creating something new I feel a little sad. Some choose to mock me and I know they think I'm silly, but whatever! Mock away people! I find joy in making progress on a project and seeing it evolve. Bright paint on the end of a brush just waiting to be transformed into something beautiful. A tired object needing a pick-me-up. A room that has grown bored for lack of change. A limp bolt of fabric eagerly waiting to be measured, cut and sewn into something fabulous. It all thrills me. Oh goodness, I have made many mistakes but I have learned from all of them and feel I am improving over time.

My latest project was inspired by this:
Kurt and I had a lovely time away at the beach. The weather was sunny and somewhat warm considering we were in Washington. I adore the beach and everything about it. The warm sand between my toes, the sound of the crashing waves, even the wind. It's so hard to drag myself away that I thought, HEY! I'll bring the beach to me. I don't know why I don't have a beach-inspired room but I definitely need one. But which one?


First of all, I have been making small changes to most of my rooms lately. Let me just say that spray paint is my new best friend. All my frames are magically black and these little lovelies went from glass to fabulous in 5.7 seconds.Anyway, I had to choose what room to change. I love, love, love my bedroom (which is in the middle of some minor changes)
My sewing room is cute (and lets face it - it would be a HUGE pain to change it : ) I just got the downstairs to where I like it:
See that chair in the corner? 20 bucks at Goodwill. It will be reupholstered with that delicious orange fabric when the weather cools down... SO that leaves my downstairs bathroom. I loved it but it was time for a change. So here we go. Paint and a little bit of wainscoting, some yummy shopping for the little details. I have it in my head but finding it all the way I want it is somewhat challenging. But that's the fun of it!

This is how I left it Saturday evening. I read the dumb instructions and the blankity-blank wood has to "breath" for 72 hours. Who wants to wait 72 hours??? Ugh. Hopefully I can get it done by the end of the week. Now if I could only find the perfect frame for the mirror I want... : )

1 comment:

Julie said...

You are so darn creative! Everything looks fabulous! Can't wait to see what you do to the bathroom.